11.22.2014

Sails - PATTERN

So, I've got all these pattern ideas on scraps of paper strewn around my desk - I've been avoiding them as I wasn't planning on posting any more this year as the 2014 Pattern Folio is completed, ready  to go and I'm not adding to it............but, I just couldn't help myself from playing with one, and then I loved it so much I wanted to post now......so, here it is, an early 2015 pattern.

I've called it Sails. Now,  you may have guessed that I don't really think all that much about pattern names......pretty much the first thing that pops into my head when I get to that stage is "it". This pattern in it's basic format reminded me of windsurfer sails.

The basic pattern:


What I've found particularly fun about this one is the seemingly endless permutations using straight, curved or s strokes to form the grid, changing the direction of the curved fill strokes or shading choices - I could have done quite a few more, but decided to stop at 8 variations - I know I'll be back experimenting, though :)


This is an example of one of the variations (top row, 3rd along) - I love how it looks like a web, or if I wanted to, I could emphasis the flower shapes (filled in black), by putting in a white dot for the centre......hmmmm........may have to play with that idea next. Maybe using a bit of hot pink :)


A reminder: the 2014 Pattern Folio is ready to go, it will be emailed early December. If you want it, please make sure you have a completed email subscription to the blog - see the subscription box on the right side under my picture (if you already get emails when I post, then you should be good to go).

Have a wonderful weekend!

hx

21 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you posted "now"! This is a great pattern. I love line patterns and this one is so versatil it's amazing! It's like having a douzen patterns in one pack. Thank you so much, Helen. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nat :) I hope you have fun with it! You have a lovely week, too! hx

      Delete
  2. I love it, Helen! Gives us something new to play with where a grid is "needed" (ah - who needs a grid. Waiting for your gridless sails next) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahoo!! You are back!! Pretty cool and I can't wait to start playing with it! Thanks so much and I know you are having a fine time playing outside in talks spring and summer where winter is coming just way to soon here in Tennessee! Thanks again for the cool new toys to play with as always they are the best! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I'm usually not a big fan of grid patterns but I love the dimensional look this one has. Happy New Year to you and us! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Helen for the post. I love the Sails. I am thinking about doing this one in Red, White and a dark Navy Blue for patriotic holidays. Thanks again for all the great designs this year. Jan P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, your patterns are always amazing! Thank you for sharing -

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to have found your site and your beautiful and stunning artwork. So very grateful for your generous sharing and inspiration. I'm new here and new to trying Zentangle and have been tremendously inspired by you and many others. Very much looking forward to your 2014 pattern folio, and I shall be ordering your other books soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, thank you for the "sneak peak" into 2015! I love the new tangle and am giving it a go right away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a lovely pattern.
    I had subscribed but couldn't remember if I had subscribed.
    Now I get double emails. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ami, Thanks! You can just click the unsubscribe button on one of the emails - hopefully that will sort it out for you :) h

      Delete
  10. Helen, all your patterns are just lovely! And the step outs are great. I have all your ebooks to date and look forward to the next one. Thanks ever so much!
    Terri CZT16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri :) I am working on the next one......albeit a little slowly.....but I am getting there :) h

      Delete
  11. How could I have missed this one earlier? I have a drawing on hold because I could not decide what to do next and you flew in with this lovely 'filler' pattern. I might try to do some of it skew-whiff because my drawing already has skew-whiff areas, but thanks so much for the demo on YouTube and for all the others, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith, hope you found some time to play with this and that it fitted in with your drawing :) Thank you! h

      Delete
  12. Helen, Just love this and everything you do. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan :) Thank YOU! It's a really fun pattern - lots of ways to change it up too :)

      Delete
  13. LOve this pattern...thanx for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you :)