Skip to main content

floral sphere

I followed a link last week posted by tanglebucket on facebook and ended up in Johanna Basford's gallery. Gorgeous, gorgeous work.

I fell in love with her "crazy botanic" piece - it was the source of inspiration for this:


Mine features lilies and daisies (love drawing both of these - particularly the loopy lily leaves) along with a heap of other stuff. Really enjoyed drawing this and will probably do some more along this theme.

I am still contemplating whether to add some darker areas or shading. But, I do like the feel of it as is. I hate going that step too far, and my usual motto is when in doubt, don't do it! We'll see. Maybe I'll take a copy and play with it.

School starts back for me today (where, oh where did the 4 weeks go?). Today the kids will be making pumpkin soup and apple oatmeal muffins (perfect weather for it - it is very cold). We had a heap of snow on the nearby mountain Saturday night - so we drove up to take Erin tobogganing Sunday. Though our "heap" of snow is relative - we live in a cool temperate climate and get very few nights where the temperature drops below 1degC. Snow is a novelty and we're lucky enough to live about 30 minutes away from a mountain that gets enough snow for the toboggan runs a couple of times a year, most years anyway. More than enough for me - I hate the cold.

The Diva Challenge looks good - I'm hoping to have time to actually get it done this week :)

hx

Comments

  1. That's really pretty.
    I know your last experiment with color didn't make you happy, but this one actually is asking for it. I think. :)

    Your art inspires me. I have never considered myself an artist, and I'm pretty sure I'll never adjust my thinking enough to believe that I am an artist... but I know I'm creative and imaginative.

    And some of my tangly stuff really resembles actual art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sensational again,Helen. And a great link to Johanna Basford. I always admire your clean and pure feel and know what you mean about less is better. Although Johanna does have lots of contrast??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Helen,
    I like anything that has flower in it.
    Your art work is really nice and interesting.
    Hope to see more creative flowery tangly stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really beautiful. Whenever I see you have a post up, I have to look (and trust me, most blogs don't require immediate reading!) I would love to see this with some color, but opt for the copy if you have doubts. Looking at your work makes me want to go do something ... anything ... with drawing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no artist - just enjoying myself by playing with it. While this piece is amazing to me, I have trouble distinguishing one things from another, so I agree with some others who say that more shading would help clarify it. Keep up the gorgeous work. Always enjoy looking at yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. helen - this is so beautiful! i always enjoy your flowing lines, the elegance and grace you bring to every piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is so inspiring! This one is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So elegant! Thanks for the link Helen, I agree....gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. Love your work...By the way it's a 105 degrees here in Arizona. I'll think of your cool temps. Not sure it will help tho.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)