7.13.2013

coffee cup daisy

Do you see pictures in your coffee? Or like everywhere? It's normal right? Well, anyway, I've decided I don't really need to worry until they start talking to me, too!

So, this week, after pulling my espresso shot for my morning latte I spotted a daisy with swirls around it in the crema - then I took a photo - as you do.

I managed to get it drawn up over the past 2 days and thought I would show the stages from inspiration to finished drawing:

Coffee shot - you may have to use your imagination - but I see a large round petal daisy in the centre surrounded by swirly leaves.


Sketch up - this is a little hard to see but it's my rough sketch inspired by the coffee photo.



Finished design - detail added/removed to balance the design. I debated whether to shade at all, but decided on just a touch to add some depth.


At one stage, just after the initial line work, I really wasn't loving it - it felt unbalanced, but once I played around and added some detail and more elements, I'm happy with the end result and am glad I persisted. Definitely a fun experiment.

Hope your weekend is going great!

hx

18 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and delicat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a nut and I love you and this is so fun, even better that it came from your coffee =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. And, yep......happy to be a nut! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Interesting where we get an inspiration from. I do not know that I would have thought to get my camera and take a picture. I like the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done it a few times when I've had a camera handy - great as a reminder. Years ago I was at a show and saw this girl with the coolest swirly design over her jeans - and - yep, I photographed it. LOL.

      Delete
  4. Flows so beautifully, Helen. You have great style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen this is gorgeous! However, since I drink my coffee black, I doubt I will see a picture but I'm going to give it a good try:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that you stopped at just enough detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Nice, I made a Strawberry!
    Greets from the Netherlands,
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really beautiful. Keep drinking coffee !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sensational, I see it! A bit different from reading tea leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, everyone. It was fun to work from a different starting point!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic as always and I love that you are getting inspiration from all sorts of places

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your work. The way your art flows is so free. Very inspiring. Helen how large are your pieces? Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran. Thank you :) I work in an A4 journal - this drawing is a bit over half the A4 page :)

      Delete
  13. It's beautiful, flowing and elegant. I could see the flower in the coffee, too. A great idea to photograph it and turn it into a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing these wonderful designs! Thank you!
    Daisy Bilá
    Brazil

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you :)