Skip to main content

Challenge #114 - Stars

This weeks diva challenge was to draw inspiration from star shapes. Even though I don't draw stars a lot, I had fun with this one.

So, here's the background story. Occasionally......ah....sometimes......o.k., o.k........a lot of the time I get locked into an idea and I can't just leave it alone. I don't know why I'm drawn to it or what the end result will be. This week I could not move past the idea of a connected 5 pronged star pattern. This was what I was doing or nothin'. And, ya know what I found out? 5 sided things are not so easy to work with so there was some frustrated hair-pulling along the way.

Here's the end result:

Can you see the stars? I actually loved the negative pattern created and chose to highlight that. I loved the way it varied from 3 to 4 petal flowers seemingly randomly - maybe if I drew a bigger sample I could see some consistency in how this happened.


Drawing it the first time was okay, I didn't really think about it and just got into a rhythm - but trying to figure it out and break it down for a pattern.............difficult. This isn't an easy pattern to get, but if you want to have a go, here's the step-out. You may find it easier to draw it one star at a time so that you don't lose track of where you're going with it. I tend to draw a section of the pattern - maybe the framework of 5-6 stars, fill them in, then continue on with more framework.


Another tip: the dots created in step 4 are the centre points of the new stars - it's a good idea to continue marking the centres with dots throughout the pattern so that your don't lose your way.

This is a pattern that will have a limited amount of repeats/growth possible due to the geometrics - you can't continue stacking like you can do with an even sided shape like a hexagon, but hopefully you'll have a bit of fun with it :)

I've been playing with a fun curly bracket pattern and will (hopefully) have a step out for it put together in the next day or so.

hx

Comments

  1. Very cool and original, quirky and fun! You are a genius!! Will look forward to playing with the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful stars. They look like starfishes. Love the wavy effect of the stars. Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this Helen ~ thank you so much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting pattern. Looking at your finished tile I would have guessed that you did the individual line-stars and then did and aura around them and connected them at points. I am sure that the difference in the number of petals has something to do with some math/geometric issue. I am intrigued by it but at this point in my life am more prone to just enjoy it rather than try to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting one to play with - definitely think it has a limited amount of repeats/growth possible due to the geometrics - the negative spaces become more unwieldy and difficult to work with.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Didisch, they look like starfish. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this play on negative space. It does look like a star fish as well as a flower. It's beautiful Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree they do look like star fish, it's a wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your stars!Ihave started trying them a bit maybe later on tonite I can play. I love the fact that you give directions. Thanks so much. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always seem to come up something unique...I look forward to seeing what you do with all the Diva challenges because of the uniqueness...thank's so much for the insight on your process. I am anxious to try it out. -r-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pattern, you are an original! I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'Gorgeous' is my word for you beautiful stars!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helen, so glad you couldn't get past your 5-sided star obsession, it's wonderful. Love your new pattern and can hardly wait to try it. Negative space is the name of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your ZIA and what a great job to create a new tangle pattern out of this Challenge!! Already practicing....

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! pretty incredible, helen! i was enjoying all the lovely green and looking at the flowers it made, then boom! saw the stars. haha! this is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like Alice, I didn't see the stars immediately, but once I did they started popping in and out! I love the fresh spring green.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)