Skip to main content

Pattern : Y-flip

I really love the look of y-ful power by Shoshi, and when I was playing with it the other day, I started to think about what would happen if I flipped the alternate Y's. Would it work? Well, it does, and I love the resulting pattern.

My approach to drawing y-ful power is a little different from the instructions, I use a more freehand technique as I don't have a lot of patience for seeds or dots if I don't need them. I create it a column at a time starting with the curves - this (hopefully) makes sense if you look at step 1 in Y-flip - alternative method.

I've included 2 versions of how to draw this pattern:

First method: This one is my favourite, and I think the easiest, allowing for more randomised effects, too.


2nd method: This is the version that I started with, but found the one above easier.

This technique might be easier for some who don't like drawing the curving lines that I start the first version with, but, as there are connecting lines added in, it leaves itself open for uneven joins which I don't like much.


Here it is in action:



And another one, I've extended the base of the y's here.


I really like how it turned out.

Yesterday I went out and bought myself a new canon SLR camera body - it's been around 10 years since I've updated my SLR and I'm very excited about it! I'm planning to play with it over the next few days, figure out how to use the video controls :)

hx



Comments

  1. This design is so neat! Love the completed version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Helen, so adorable, I love the completed result - tfs. Will definitely try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I really love playing with patterns and this one was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are soooo talented Helen. I love to see what you come up with next. Thank you for sharing your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Groovy plus! Goodluck with your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Helen, in the TanglePattern String photostream on Flickr I saw a ZIA by Poppie_60 with an intriguing background. It turned out to be your tangle pattern Y-flip, which I already adore without practicing! Just one word: enchanting!
    Thank you for sharing, will give it a try at breakfast, which probably means, I'll be drawing the whole morning....

    Greetings from Holland,
    Anneke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anneke :) Thankyou. Hope you have fun with it!

      Delete
  8. A gorgeous pattern - elegant as always from your pen, Helen. Thanks for posting the video! As usual, the left side of my brain said the pattern - this time it's y-flip - would be easy, then the right side made a hash of the first three attempts. My happy hour (breakfast) is now a not-so-happy morning. I hope I can get it to look right before lunch!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Salvador Dali. I love your work so much. Clean and refreshing. Flowing. Just beautiful. You are my favorite Tangler. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)

Popular posts from this blog

PATTERN - Faux Weave

I am getting ever closer to the finish line of my course. I have one more round of assessments to go and should be done in around 6 weeks - I cannot wait! I have enjoyed it, but am more than ready for it to be over. Thanks for hanging in there with my erratic posting over the past year or so :)

My desk, which has a myriad of buried treasure amongst the clutter  (my organisation "system" tends towards scribbling things down on scraps of paper when I get an idea then throwing them on my desk). Anyway, I had a bit of a clean up last night and it offered up this pattern ready to scan and share.

I love, love, LOVE easy patterns and how, often, from a simple construct the illusion of a more complex design can be created.

I think that "faux weave" is one such example. What could be easier than spiralling around a single line? Stack these spirals together using a square grid, alternate the direction, add some basic fill and shading and all of a sudden you have a woven effe…

String Rose PATTERN

Well, d-day has almost arrived. Tomorrow I head back to school. Where did the summer go? At least the class schedule is looking pretty light and I'll only be at school for 2- 2 1/2 days a week.

Today I want to share a really simple technique/pattern I've called "String Rose". This idea first made an appearance on the blog during the old into new challenge back in 2014. I named one of the experimentation tiles as Trentwith and though this pattern was the initial source of inspiration, my version takes a different approach. I had always meant to share the technique as it's so simple, and fun, but I just didn't get around to it. Until now! 2 1/2 years later.....haha.

O.k., here goes........

The String Rose Pattern - this shows the base technique.


As it's all done in one continuous line, I thought a little insta-video might help out:

Puffy 8's PATTERN

O.k., wow. Another year done and dusted! Can you believe it's 2017? Me? I'm still reeling.

So, where did 2016 go? I had so much that I wanted to get done here on the website, but, life takes some interesting turns and my return to full-time study in 2016 though not planned, was so interesting - I loved it!

Since term ended for our long summer break, I've been periodically working on tidying up my files and found some unpublished patterns that I hadn't got around to posting. I'll put them up over the next few weeks.

Today I'm sharing a pattern called Puffy 8's - it's another spin off of 2/8's (love that base pattern!)

You could stop at step 5 above, or keep going to fill all the spaces.
And, what's life without a bit of freeforming?
Wishing everyone a happy, productive 2017!
hx