Skip to main content

Curly Bracket Love and Brax Pattern

Now, I love curly brackets. Flowing lines, curves, the possibility of long scrolly bits........ hold on a minute.............squeeeeeeee........


o.k., deep breath, I'm calm, I'm calm.

So, how did I go from this weeks diva challenge string to a full-on curly bracket love-fest? Well, basically it comes right down to avoidance.

I headed upstairs to my art room yesterday fully planning to tackle the challenge. Unfortunately, I find string based challenges a little......well.......challenging, so when I drew out the example I was easily distracted by possibilities offered by string shape..........my first thought was that it would work as flower/s:


Which then prompted this.


Which led to pages and pages (well, about 5) of curly bracket play before I got it out of my system and was ready to tackle the challenge (you can see the results in my challenge #99 post).

Brax pattern: I played with a few different types of grids to try and find the best way of working with these shapes - here's the one I liked the best.



Brax Variations: Lots of fill possibilities, this is just a few along with examples of how you could approach this with either an offset dot grid, or an x grid.


My favourite patterns are flexible - I want them to be able to curve, stretch, etc. Brax worked with this experiment. I also played with my grid being long rectangles instead of squares (I haven't got a pic of this), and really liked the results of having one set of "petals" short/fat the others long/thin.



Fleese: a super simple one - reminded me of flying geese. Curly bracket starts at one side corner of diamond, tip touches top, then back down to other corner. I think it would look good with line fill in open area, but haven't had a chance to play with it.


I have a couple of other bracket-y patterns I'm playing with so will see what comes of them.

Have a fantastic weekend!

hx

Comments

  1. Helen, your drawings and tangles are always so delicate! I just love them!. Thank you! Jakki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looking forward to playing with these tangles Helen. I am sure there is some spare time after Christmas, its all hectic here at the moment with pre-Christmas meals and visitors coming and going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely curly and simple patterns Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I laughed - I know that avoidance bit..........I also had ideas of flowers with those loops not too dissimilar but since I had to get on with something more urgent I didn't dare start to fiddle - still there's a little drawing by my computer from a few days ago...........with some looped flowers & butterflies - not even a drawing..... just some loops (er flower ideas) on a piece of paper!
    Now I'd better get on with that urgent bit............ & stop looking at tangles.....
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Paula! So easy to get distracted - especially when I'm not too excited about getting something done (like housework!)

      Delete
  5. Thanks, everyone. Hope that you get some use out of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pattern, looks like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing. It's easy to procrastinate, when it comes to housework, let's see shall I tangle or shall I clean, ummmmmmmmmmm tangling would win, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, Helen. Love all the possibilities of variation with this one. It's so delicate - like lace. It really lends itself to a more freeform initial grid, too. Thanks for a brilliant pattern! I'm certainly going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How generous you are in sharing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ksenija VojisavljevicJanuary 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing these elegant new tangles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Helen, the shading really brings it to life - tfs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these tangles, Helen. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are very pretty, and I could see myself doing Brax! Im going to show my ignorance here, but! what do you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya! May we use your beautiful curly brackets on our choir letterheads please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You can read about my terms of use here: https://alittlelime.blogspot.com.au/p/terms-of-use.html - please email me if you need any further info. Thanks, Helen :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)

Popular posts from this blog

PATTERN - Faux Weave

I am getting ever closer to the finish line of my course. I have one more round of assessments to go and should be done in around 6 weeks - I cannot wait! I have enjoyed it, but am more than ready for it to be over. Thanks for hanging in there with my erratic posting over the past year or so :)

My desk, which has a myriad of buried treasure amongst the clutter  (my organisation "system" tends towards scribbling things down on scraps of paper when I get an idea then throwing them on my desk). Anyway, I had a bit of a clean up last night and it offered up this pattern ready to scan and share.

I love, love, LOVE easy patterns and how, often, from a simple construct the illusion of a more complex design can be created.

I think that "faux weave" is one such example. What could be easier than spiralling around a single line? Stack these spirals together using a square grid, alternate the direction, add some basic fill and shading and all of a sudden you have a woven effe…

String Rose PATTERN

Well, d-day has almost arrived. Tomorrow I head back to school. Where did the summer go? At least the class schedule is looking pretty light and I'll only be at school for 2- 2 1/2 days a week.

Today I want to share a really simple technique/pattern I've called "String Rose". This idea first made an appearance on the blog during the old into new challenge back in 2014. I named one of the experimentation tiles as Trentwith and though this pattern was the initial source of inspiration, my version takes a different approach. I had always meant to share the technique as it's so simple, and fun, but I just didn't get around to it. Until now! 2 1/2 years later.....haha.

O.k., here goes........

The String Rose Pattern - this shows the base technique.


As it's all done in one continuous line, I thought a little insta-video might help out:

Puffy 8's PATTERN

O.k., wow. Another year done and dusted! Can you believe it's 2017? Me? I'm still reeling.

So, where did 2016 go? I had so much that I wanted to get done here on the website, but, life takes some interesting turns and my return to full-time study in 2016 though not planned, was so interesting - I loved it!

Since term ended for our long summer break, I've been periodically working on tidying up my files and found some unpublished patterns that I hadn't got around to posting. I'll put them up over the next few weeks.

Today I'm sharing a pattern called Puffy 8's - it's another spin off of 2/8's (love that base pattern!)

You could stop at step 5 above, or keep going to fill all the spaces.
And, what's life without a bit of freeforming?
Wishing everyone a happy, productive 2017!
hx