Skip to main content

Challenge #100 - Diva Dance

So, no Monday Moleskine this week - it was my mum's birthday - we drove up to see her.....and, I kinda forgot.....oops. As we're all full of Christmas love and cheer and frantic preparation around here (I have 24 coming to lunch Christmas Day), I don't see any MM's happening until after New Years.

Onto this weeks Diva Challenge - what a fabulous milestone for Laura to reach 100 challenges, and how cool to have the introduction of the tangle pattern, Diva Dance to celebrate it. Fantastic. I started in on the challenges about half way through this year, and they have been such a wonderful way for me to stretch myself creatively as well as discovering so many talented tanglers. Love it.

Diva Dance. Love, love, love. Can you tell - I loved playing with this pattern. "Anything goes/rock n'roll" is definitely the version I lean towards.

Here's what I came up with:

Wreath: this was the first thing that came to mind as soon as I saw the potential to tangle up the streams of "threads".


Mookaliciousness: It was a little hard for me to stop with this one, I just kept adding and adding until, basically, it was time to head to bed so I had to finish up. Lots of sticky corners to round out spaces in between curls and threads - loved that they just blended in and became part of the pattern.


Feather: I haven't drawn a feather for a while - Diva Dance worked well for this.


A page from my pattern focus journal, which I mentioned ages ago when I was thinking about organisational options - in this journal I have a bit of a play with patterns I like and include name, how-to's (if needed, this one's pretty self-explanatory). I am really hoping to make some serious inroads with this journal over the christmas/summer break.


Today is my last school session for the year - then 6 weeks off for the summer break - I am so excited, I can barely contain myself! Here's hoping it's a beautiful, hot summer, though, thus far the weather report is saying clearing showers and 22C for Christmas Day (we do our lunch out on our verandah), it's not perfect, but a lot better than the rain and near freezing temperatures we had a couple of years ago and had to stuff many, many people inside our little house.

I hope you and your family have the most wonderful, fun, happy Christmas and New Year.

hx

Comments

  1. Wow! Love the diversity of your tangles and they all look so great. The upper one could almost become a nest with eggs. Mooka and feather look great and like the free form from your journal. Hope your holiday plans go well and are enjoyable for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tiles Helen. I like the nest of eggs, or celebratory berry wreath!! I hope you have a lovely sunny Christmas day with your family and no rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you've done with these tangles. I really love organic tangles, and you've done a wonderful job with making these organic. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make the most beautiful tangles! Thank you for taking the time to share them with all of us. I hope you have a beautiful, sunny, warm Christmas. Here it looks like we will have a white Christmas...a few inches of snow fell today and more is forecast. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you would come with something original.
    But these are Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to see you make the Diva Dance yours! These tiles are a wonderful reflection of your style. Thanks for the "organizational" suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am absolutely in awe of your work and mentioned it (and my shameless attempt at emulating it) on my blog today! hope you don't mind!

    sounds like you are going to have a full house for the holidays enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, Helen, you've taken Zentangle® to a whole new level! LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Moly, you're one talented tangler! I'm visiting for the first time from Molly at Sasifricious and have to say I just love your work. I'm your newest subscriber so I don't miss a single one..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great Idea to combine the diva dance tangles with existing tangles. They all make beautiful pairs.
    You are a tangle magician how you transform them in such a beautiful combinations. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got rhythm Helen, I am so glad you found our group, you add sparkle and panache! Mery Christmas, hope your day is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to come to page and soak in the beauty of each piece that you find a way to make your own no matter what the pattern they are always yours! Thank you for being here each week so I can enjoy to my heart's content! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tangles are always so beautiful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. helen, i'm saving your last picture with the line drawings of the 3 steps - perfect for my tangle book. and i love your tile - so pretty - as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Mookaliciousness, it just works so well. Fantastic job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your artwork is always so stunning and beautiful! Great job using the Diva Dance tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your work is fabulous! Always a joy to come to your blog.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah Helen, I cannot choose which one I love the most, your art is amazing. Enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As always, you make me so happy just looking at what a tangle can do. I'm like so many, in that I look forward to seeing what you will do with each challenge and get inspired to try something brave myself. Love the berry wreath best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)

Popular posts from this blog

PATTERN - Faux Weave

I am getting ever closer to the finish line of my course. I have one more round of assessments to go and should be done in around 6 weeks - I cannot wait! I have enjoyed it, but am more than ready for it to be over. Thanks for hanging in there with my erratic posting over the past year or so :)

My desk, which has a myriad of buried treasure amongst the clutter  (my organisation "system" tends towards scribbling things down on scraps of paper when I get an idea then throwing them on my desk). Anyway, I had a bit of a clean up last night and it offered up this pattern ready to scan and share.

I love, love, LOVE easy patterns and how, often, from a simple construct the illusion of a more complex design can be created.

I think that "faux weave" is one such example. What could be easier than spiralling around a single line? Stack these spirals together using a square grid, alternate the direction, add some basic fill and shading and all of a sudden you have a woven effe…

String Rose PATTERN

Well, d-day has almost arrived. Tomorrow I head back to school. Where did the summer go? At least the class schedule is looking pretty light and I'll only be at school for 2- 2 1/2 days a week.

Today I want to share a really simple technique/pattern I've called "String Rose". This idea first made an appearance on the blog during the old into new challenge back in 2014. I named one of the experimentation tiles as Trentwith and though this pattern was the initial source of inspiration, my version takes a different approach. I had always meant to share the technique as it's so simple, and fun, but I just didn't get around to it. Until now! 2 1/2 years later.....haha.

O.k., here goes........

The String Rose Pattern - this shows the base technique.


As it's all done in one continuous line, I thought a little insta-video might help out:

Puffy 8's PATTERN

O.k., wow. Another year done and dusted! Can you believe it's 2017? Me? I'm still reeling.

So, where did 2016 go? I had so much that I wanted to get done here on the website, but, life takes some interesting turns and my return to full-time study in 2016 though not planned, was so interesting - I loved it!

Since term ended for our long summer break, I've been periodically working on tidying up my files and found some unpublished patterns that I hadn't got around to posting. I'll put them up over the next few weeks.

Today I'm sharing a pattern called Puffy 8's - it's another spin off of 2/8's (love that base pattern!)

You could stop at step 5 above, or keep going to fill all the spaces.
And, what's life without a bit of freeforming?
Wishing everyone a happy, productive 2017!
hx