Skip to main content

challenge #97 - no strings attached

This weeks challenge was to create a zentangle/zia without using a string. Love it!

Although I very rarely use strings as such, I often draw a couple of directional lines on my blank page to get me going. So, for this challenge, I put the pencil and eraser in a safe and threw away the key so they couldn't weave their wicked wiles and tempt me to use them. Oh, and, when I say safe.........I really mean the box on my desk. lol.

My drawing will not surprise you.... I went naturalistic.........there's leaves, feather, mooka :)

I started with the front leaf and layered back from there, throwing in a mooka scroll at different intervals to give it a more woven effect.

It was fun working without my safety net of a few pencilled lines, and though the balance feels a little out to me, I still like it. I also got to use a couple new colours from my latest tria marker delivery :) The top scroll is not shaded - though I love a bound journal, I have to remember not to draw so close to the spine! Scanning is a bit of a hassle.


hx

Comments

  1. Delightful - LOVE your Mooka, how long did you have to practice to get your Mooka so lovely or were you a natural? Your pods are very nice too, I like how it looks like the pod opening overlaps to one side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :) I've always loved drawing/painting scrolls so I think it came fairly naturally to me :) I use mooka a LOT - so all that practice probably helps!

      Delete
  2. Really love your style. When you did the steps for the realistic leaves, I immediately tried it, coloring with colored pencils. So I have a cluster but not sure what to do with it. Now I have a starting point! Your realistic style appeals to me far more than the usual Zentangle that are more of a collection of tangles than something identifiable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise :) I'm glad you found the leaf step out useful :)

      I really like working with the more nature inspired patterns - so much fun to try and make them work with my flower drawings :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! Love how your Mooka is interwoven throughout. Not sure I could remember where to pick it up again but you do such a great job with this. Not sure I could have gotten the Featherfall underneath. IwWill really have to work on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donald :) I have to concentrate a bit to make sure I don't end up with things going off in odd directions, but I love the challenge of it.

      Delete
  4. No one would say that you missed your pencil lines. Helen, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A symphony in zentangle...it just reaches out and feels my musical center!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question for you, Helen. When you add color to your work, do you still add pencil shading. And if so, is it done before after the color is applied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne :) When I colour with markers I sometimes still add grey shading, but use markers for this, also. You can see a few projects in my gallery that have used both grey tones and colour.

      Most of the time I stick with either one or the other, though :)

      Delete
  7. Helen that is the sweetest gorgeous summer bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another winner! I agree with Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I so need to learn/work on shading - yours are always wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely response to no strings! Nature attaches no strings on us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the way you wove the organic tangles together. The Mooka looks like it was tricky getting it in your design. It really looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a pretty arrangement, and your work is so beautiful. I love the intricate interweaving of the elements. I'm with everyone else... lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)