Skip to main content

cone scroll & pattern organisation

Well, I do love my cone shapes. This is one that I did a week or so ago, it has been in my journal waiting to be scanned. Love the cones in various formats - lily, spiral and gramaphone :)




I am reorganising. Currently I have tangle patterns in a spiral bound log book (sort of alphabetically) and also scattered throughout my art journals. It's not a great system, and I'd like to have them all in one place, in alphabetical order, which means being able to move them around when I find new patterns. I also don't want it to be too bulky, as I think a card, or pattern to page binder system would be.

I think I have the answer:

This idea that I spotted when surfing the web yesterday designed by Sandy Hunter at Tanglebucket. Brilliant idea. Love it. It ticks all the boxes for me, reasonably compact. Easy to look through. And, most important, I can reorganise the tiles so that they always remain in alphabetical order. I know. I'm unbalanced. I can't help myself.

I have ordered my sheet protectors from ebay and they are currently making their way from the US. I plan to leave about 2 rows on each sheet empty so I can fit in new tiles without having to shuffle the  entire collection. Unfortunately, I don't have that super-cute punch, so will be cutting my tiles to fit - I think I will just round the corners of each one.

I have also bought a smaller (A5) journal that I am just going to devote to exploring some of the patterns I really like in a bit more depth. My regular journals are more like a constant stream of thought  ....... scribbles, colour experiments, drawings, so they can be a bit hard to wade through to find what I want.

Even though I just finished getting through all the patterns fairly recently, I am looking forward to this project. I like drawing out patterns. And having things in strict alphabetical order, let's not forget that! I find working on pattern samples relaxing, it also helps get the ideas flowing, especially if I'm not feeling particularly inspired by a new blank page. It's a bit like a warm up, gets my creative muscles working.

What do you use to organise your patterns? Any better ideas out there I should consider before I am fully committed?

hx

Comments

  1. Now this book would be a treasure for anyone to have! I love your style and how you make each pattern your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having so much fun on your blog! Would you consider putting up the FOLLOW feature, so i can follow you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah! Great to hear you are enjoying my blog! I managed to track down the code for a small follow button - thanks for the prompt :) It's in the sidebar above the pinterest button.

      Delete
  3. I saw Sandy's idea as well. I found sheet protectors in a local hobby store in the same area as the ones Sandy used that ATC's fit in. I draw a line across the ATC to make a square box at the bottom. That gives me space at the top to write the name of the tangle and who created it. I can still use the same system. Just don't need to cut or punch the squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a good idea and probably gives you a little bit more space to draw the image too? it's going to be a challenge for me working on 2"x2" squares!

      Delete
  4. Great storage tips! I've got stacks of tiles but no good way to store them OR find the pattern I want. Anonymous' suggestion above re the ATC size works for me - I have hundreds of ATC's stored in baseball card protector sheets. I even have some empty protector sheets. Now I just have to draw the individual tangles and file them! BTW, love you blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It's great if you can use something you've already got. I have stacks of cardstock from my scrapbooking days that I can use to cut out the 2" tiles. Though I do want to do them all in white, so am hoping I have enough.

      Delete
  5. If you have not already checked it out there's a great section on Tanglepatterns.com for organizing tangles. Lots of responses to go through but lots of different ideas here - http://tanglepatterns.com/organize-your-patterns.

    I use a combination of hands on - 2" cards on rings and electronic - using two software programs Snagit and Evernote - that way I have them with me wherever I go. Good luck create a system that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some terrific organisational tips on there - I really like the index card system idea, too! I haven't thought of storing them digitally, but it's a great idea.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)