10.25.2012

challenge #92 - stripes

This weeks diva challenge string theory - stripes. Loved it. I still have a couple more drawings in progress in my journal, but wanted to get something up today.

So, here goes!

Pencil strips - meant to represent strips of patterned paper rolled around a pencil. I love my pencil and most of the strips, though the orientation on one of them is annoying me.

Generally, when I am looking for patterns, I start flicking through my log from front to back - this time I started at the back so that I could use some of the poor, lonely patterns that normally get left behind :(

Don't know why this looks fuzzy, if you click on the image you'll see a clearer pic.


Patterned stripes - Transitioning patterns isn't something I do a lot of - so I went through my pattern log and tried to pick ones that I thought would flow together and this is what I came up with. I think I should've rethought the buttons on the bottom, great pattern, but not sure they're working here. Ah, well, I'm stuck with them now!


Pick up sticks: My favourite of this batch - so simple and minimalist. **love**.

I love using curved inked triangles at intersections - I call them "sticky corners", but have seen them around - do they have an official name?
 
 


Pick up sticks: progression. I scanned this one at various stages as I had planned to stop at each one and, then as I decided to add each additional layer, wanted to have a copy in case I hated it. Shading is done with promarkers. I love it at every stage :) Marry me, pick up sticks!
 

Off to finish my other drawings. I'm working on a leaflet video with a fun variation that I'm loving!

Have a great one!
hx

24 comments:

  1. The tangle you wonder what the official name is, is called 'Spaanders' (a dutch word for woodchips) and come from Mariët.
    Again I'm impressed with your work Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the curved inking at the intersections is what is officially called 'Rounding' one of the tangle Enhancers, Maybe a CZT somewhere could confirm that.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you're right Paula as that sounds familiar :) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Love the different presentations. All so unique. Really like the way that the second one flows. I do not think of that either, was a technique discussed a little at CZT 10. Liked you showing the progression of the last one. Glad you did not stop on any of the earlier ones. Thought of hollibaugh, but your comment about pick-up sticks brought back memories from childhood. Use to play with them a lot. Guess they are too low tech for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donald, Even with all their hi tech toys, my grandsons still love a good game of pick up sticks! They're a timeless toy and are still around!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous tangles. The pencil one is truly exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your creativity will never cease to amaze me! It shouldn't because you have a truly creative mind and that is why I love your tangling so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful work! It's a treat to come to your site! I love the ribbons in the first one, and the addition of the buttons so whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think these are all wonderful. i do like the buttons, in the first piece, it all seems woven together. I love the pencil and the way the paper pieces wrap around. Thank you for you comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I absolutely LOVE all three of these! How original to do ribbons of paper on the pencil for the first; love the idea of working on transitions (mind if I borrow that idea?); and your pick up sticks ... again so original and beautifully done. I love looking at your work - it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem at all :) Thanks for the lovely comment, Sue

      Delete
    2. I agree with everything Sue said. I've never been to your blog before, but I will be back. Your work is amazing.

      Delete
  9. I always love looking at your work. It is so breath taking. These are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all of these--and the sunshine one, too! Always inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All three of them are great. I love the second one, its just lik knit work, another hobby of mine. And the last one is just gorgeous because of the simple design you used. Always fun visiting your blog, its great inspiration to me. I adore your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All three are super. I look forward to seeing your entries every week, there is so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helen! What a treat! I always leave your site motivated to attempt a pattern or a technique. Thank you for all the work you put in to sharing your art with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Helen, as a browser of zentangle ... love 'the diva' and always look forward to your posts to her challenges...you have a great eye, technique and design. Always original and inspiring. -Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments! I love working on the challenges each week - so often it pushes me out of my comfort zone - which is fantastic (though I did still manage to squeeze some flowers in!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are soooooooooooo good. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these! The gravity of the first two is very cool! Sticky corners - great name! I love that look too. Your pick up sticks are simply wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE all three - so creative!! The pencil strips is my favorite but all 3 are amazing. - Aliyaran

    ReplyDelete
  19. I missed this post. These are tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love ALL of these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you :)