Skip to main content

Challenge #89 Sankegg

This weeks Diva Challenge. Sankegg. . Well ......... I was completely stumped when I saw this pattern, my brain pretty much a gigantic, echoing cavern. Nothing. I sketched it out a couple of times it just wasn't working for me. So, I took a closer look at the original picture of the Pysanka Egg and noticed that in the centre of every jet shape had a triangle. O.k., so now I had something geometric to work from and I could make a reasonable replication of the pattern as shown on the egg. Still. Nothing. I told my husband I wasn't going to do it, he muttered something, probably "coward", or maybe "goodnight" and went to bed clearly disgusted with my lack of fortitude. Though, that may be me projecting. He's probably not quite so invested in my decision whether or not to participate.

So, this afternoon I sat at my desk determined to give it another go. I ended up taking one of my usual approaches which is  to turn a pattern into a flower. This is about 4 sankegg "jets" rotated and layered over each other, along with the next set of long triangles in the pattern coming out from each point. That probably doesn't make much sense, but I've included a little diagram below. The second set of triangles remain uncapped so I can use them for the seeds. Just a lazy bit of shading with a greylead.

Here it is, my sankegg Dandelion. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. That's about it.


The diagram:
 
hx

Comments

  1. how clever! i think you did an ok-job on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the use of the tangle as a flower

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, I love that you took a geometric pattern and gave it a lovely flow. This is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique way of doing this tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice flower did you make with this patern. Wonderfull idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yur flowers are always beautiful; so this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, this is INSANELY creative, wow!!! I don't love sankegg much either, but you have turned it into something pleasing and interesting, so well done to you :) ill be trying out the alternative pattern you've laid out at the bottom of your post

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew you would go botanical....and it works so well! You took sankegg into a new dimension of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sometimes 'not hating it' is a good thing, however, i think you're wrong here - it looks great! and you were very clever to turn this into a flower - i'm thinking flowers and feathery things are your trademark! i see pictures online and i think, "helen might like this" or "helen could turn this into something amazing!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :) I really struggled with this one, Alice, and after a few pages of scribbles just decided to go with my default "flower" setting. They are definitely my fave thing to draw :) There is so much great stuff to look at online, a real time-sink, but I can't help myself!

      Delete
  10. Yes, this was a challenging challenge... your solution is great and very loverrrly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic! I only wish I had thought of it! I struggled with this one. Your solution is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really pretty! I love your new design. I also love dandelions. The leaves are good in salad and are supposed to have curative properties.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)