Skip to main content

some more copada experimentation

I thought I was done with the challenge , ready to return to the design that I was working on before the challenge was posted this week, but I found myself sketching away in my journal again and came up with a couple more things that I wanted to expand on to see where they went. Copada Feather: I can't resist trying to turn patterns into feathers, I just love the challenge of seeing if I can still retain the basic pattern but also bend it to my nefarious will (insert evil laugh here). I had thought about this idea before I went in the banksia direction, but didn't think it would work. I've had to contort the base parentheses shape to point upwards so that the feather swirls would head in the right direction. Kind of an odd, spiky feather, but I like it.
String Flower: This one initially started as a sunflower but kept growing out of the shape. This is my comfort colour combo right now. Love, love mauve and yellow together.
Copada in primary colours: This one started off as a quick sketch and an excuse to use some primary colours for a bit of colour therapy today - I wanted to get away from grey for a while. I didn't think it would go anywhere, but I liked the end result - probably as it is so different from my normal colour scheme/s. I have seen some cool challenge responses - loved the fill on copada in both didisch's (stripes) and Mariet's ( flowers) challenge pieces - they have inspired the daisy & striped fill on the copada elements in this drawing.
Brainstorming page - pretty ugly, huh? Most of my finished drawings have a page like this before them where I sketch down ideas before deciding whether I want to go ahead with them or not - I also like to come back to it while I'm working on a drawing to trial colour schemes, fill ideas, and in this case, feather directions/style. You can probably see why I settled for grey tones on the feather! And, why some ideas don't make it past this page :)
A pen update! I am happy with the zig so far - though it probably only has one more drawing in it. I don't know whether I am training myself to have a (slightly) lighter touch. I am still slowly grinding it into the metal tube, but it lasted longer than the previous pens have. I will switch back to a micron once I have finished with this one to compare. hx

Comments

  1. Oh all your designs are just adorable. The one in primary colors, the string flower and the feather all three just beautiful. Such a difference in them all with all unique character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All lovely designs. The feather is amazing, and I really like both your other color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have I ever told you how much I love your flowing, gorgeous style? Well I LOVE YOUR STYLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou!! I love your style, too! It is wonderful seeing what you come up with each week - so creative :)

      Delete
  4. So nice to see how you play with the tangle and come to a beautiful finished work.
    I love your delicate style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love your process and the finished products are soooo lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super dooper, gorgeous!!! The sharing aspect of Zentangle and passing on ideas with the inspiration that flows from one to another is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your copada feather!! all your designs are great but it is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to add....I hope you don't mind I added the feather to one of my Pinterest boards...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay,

      No problem at all :) Thanks for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  9. these are wonderful - i really like your feathers i've been seeing on your blog - and this one is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All so very beautiful and different. Unusual to see you using bright colours - fabulous all over!! great featherwork and I'm in love with your flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did. Even the bright colored one (and I'm nog really into colors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...I love your brainstorming page!!! Just sayin'
    Obviously the other drawings are GORGEOUS too, the feather is exquisite :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love your work, it is so light and flowing and always pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your designs are devine, beautiful and flowing, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great designs. I love your art. It's so free flowing. The feather is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thankyou everyone for the lovely comments :) I love how these challenges push me to try out new patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These designs are all fantastic and it's good to see your brainstorming page as well to see how the ideas develop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)