Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Colouring technique - morning glories - VIDEO

This is my 55th post! I can't believe it! I must have waaaaay too much time on my hands and a whole lot more stuff to talk about than I thought! LOL!

Now that the weather has improved, I have moved away from the heater and back upstairs to my craft room. It has taken a bit of adjustment, but the lighting is better and it's great for doing videos.

I often get asked what mediums/tools I am using to colour my drawings. The pictures in my gallery use coloured pencil, greylead and promarkers. For colour work I now use promarkers, or tria markers, pretty much all the time. I may dust off the watercolours and acrylics in the future. Maybe.

So, anyway, the promarkers. Love them. Lots of cool colours. I use these in a number of ways - straight colouring, shading, colour graduations, and playing with the blender (love, love, LOVE the blender! Love it!) to achieve a sort of watercolour look that I've used in quite a few of my drawings, including the morning glories which is one of my favourites - I know, I know I shouldn't say that as the others will get jealous! Okay, drawings - you're all my favourites (wink, wink).

This video shows how I colour my morning glories:

 

Some more info:
  • Even though I use much the same process, these come out differently every time I colour them.
  • I think that you could use any other blendable markers to achieve a similar result.
  • Markers are juicy, they will bleed. It has taken me a fair bit of practice to gain a small semblance of control over mine.
  • this technique has just come about through trial and error playing with the markers - for all I know there is a better, faster, stronger way to colour them. We have the technology. (wait.....wait.....I may just have had a 6 million dollar man flashback here!??? what can I say......I'm a child of the 70's.......a very, very young child, mind you! LOL.)
  • after googling morning glory images this afternoon the only yellow I could find on the blue ones was in the centres, so we'll call the yellow on mine "reflected light" yep, that's the story I'm going with.
Let me know if you find the video useful as I may look at doing some more colouring technique stuff in the future. When I watch/edit videos of myself, I think, not only do I obviously use my hands when I talk.........a LOT, I feel like maybe I am just prattling on and that it can't possibly be helpful to anyone - and if that's the case, what's the point, right? So, since this is a bit different from what I've done before, I'd love to know what you think :)

hx

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your nice video. I liked it very much and it is a great help for me to see how you colour your very beautiful drawings. I have a little difficulty in understanding your english. I am from the Netherlands and you speak a little too fast for me. Please go on sharing your pictures and your videos with us. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you found it helpful! I DO talk too fast, even for people with english as a first language - I have to remind myself to slow down a bit and maybe put in some text. Thanks for the feedback :)

      Delete
  2. Fascinating and well done! Thank you! I've been putting off using color in my Zentangle pieces. But you made this look so easy, I think it's time to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaahh! Thank you!! This was awesome and I've gone and dug out all my Aquamarkers (though I won't get to play with them for a while yet--too many other little things waiting for my attention...story of our lives, right??)This definitely enlightened me on the blender usage and effects--so cool!!! Thanks again Helen! And YES! Please post more--love your videos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought your video was excellent. I signed up for your e-mail and I look forward to your blog and what new you are doing on your site. I too loved your blender demonstration for the morning glories!!! Love, Love, Love your flower drawings/art. As the previous blogger - MORE PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the videos. So amazing and helpful to a beginner like me! Your work is so precise and gorgeous. Would it be too much to ask for a video on how you design your more intricate tangles...like the ones that look like yarn/knitting? I just love those and can't imagine where to begin. Thank you for sharing your work. I look forward to your posts--it's like getting a Xmas present in the mail each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne :) Great to hear you're finding the blog helpful. I would have to think about how I could approach a video like the one you suggested - I don't really go through a process, the idea is usually in my head and I tweak it as I start drawing if something doesn't feel right. I'm approaching my moleskine doodles in the opposite way, just starting with a shape and letting it evolve freeform - a bit more challenging (scary) for me! I'll see what I can come up with - probably sometime during our summer holidays - we're right in the middle of final term now :)

      Delete
  6. Loved listening to your voice! Love your works of art! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen, I just did a blog post about how much I love your work and am inspired by your blog. I made a zentangle inspired art piece for my sister and used your Morning Glories along with Mooka. I used water color pencils for the color, which I am just learning how to do. I really appreciate seeing the video you made and will need to try markers next time. If you want to see my post, here is the link:
    http://tangledinkart.blogspot.com/2012/11/thank-you-for-maryann.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed your video. I have never thought of getting into markers I like coloured pencil and paint so much, but your technique looks most appealing. Maybe i will have a go !! Thanks for doing the vid. It was good quality too. I dont bother if I have to wait minutes between bits. Thanks Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. After working out how best to use the markers for what I want to do, I'd never go back :)

      Delete
  9. Helen I happened to find your blog when wandering from one site to another and how pleased I was to find it. I think your work is amazing and find it so inspirational - only wish I had a fraction of your talent though!!
    The video wasd great and helped to break a project down into stages so that I now feel ale to try it myself. I have loads of promarkers but always get so frustrated when I try to use them as I am hopeless at choosing which colours to use and what techniques. Your video was fab and I can't wait for the others. Thanks for all your hard work. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. Great to hear that this was helpful to you :) Once you get a handle on them you will love your promarkers! Hopefully I'll have time to do more videos very soon :)

      Delete