7.22.2016

Ellish & Ollie

Lots of news in this post..........firstly:

It seems like it's been ages since I've played with tangle pattern that just caught my eye. I'm glad Ellish did on this occasion - it's a lot of fun to draw with - very sinuous and pretty, what's not to love?



I'd like to experiment with it more.

And now for something a little different - I thought I'd share a drawing from one of my final Illustration assignments last term - we had to create a steampunk character, so here's my favourite guy, Ollie, steampunk-ed up :) He is done entirely with grey lead pencil.


Other news:

On the school front I'm currently applying for a short term (3 weeks in September) study exchange to Cedar Rapids, IA & Chicago - which will be very exciting if I'm approved for it. Part of my application is to list some industries or companies that I would like to visit - so, if anyone is familiar with the area and knows of places in either Cedar Rapids or Chicago that would be a benefit for me to visit and relate to my field of study: Graphic Design, please let me know.

In some other fun news, I have begun work on a new e-book. This one will be a little slower going with my school load, but I currently devote Wednesday's and whatever other time I can during the week to it. It's shaping up well and I'm excited. I'll give out more info on it when I've got a bit more under my belt.

Around home the countdown continues for Miss Jersey's new calf and John has finally got the roof on the pig shed (this shed project has been in progress for about 4 years now  - it's a huge structure - and has just recently moved forward in leaps and bounds). 

Here's a pic of the first lamb for 2016 from a few weeks ago. So sweet.


Have an amazing weekend!
hx

20 comments:

  1. Hi Helen,
    Glad to hear all is well.Your Elish is beautiful,your style is unmistakable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen,
    Glad to hear all is well.Your Elish is beautiful,your style is unmistakable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing ... do you ever sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! lots! I wouldn't be able to function without at least 8 hours a night :) Thank you, h

      Delete
  4. I agree with Margaret, I don't know how you find the time and energy to do all of the things that you do. I am a high-energy person, and my friends can't believe all that I do, but I don't think I could keep up with your schedule! Best wishes in all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't both too much with housework, Ellen. I just do the basics of what has to be done - it's amazing how much time that saves :) Thank you! h

      Delete
  5. I agree with Margaret, I don't know how you find the time and energy to do all of the things that you do. I am a high-energy person, and my friends can't believe all that I do, but I don't think I could keep up with your schedule! Best wishes in all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would recognize that Ellish as yours from a mile away, Helen. Beautiful. Well, maybe not a mile as my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. For example, I first read that John had to get a pig off the shed roof! You should really draw that one LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I've worn glasses since I was about 12 - I was so annoyed when my reading sight also deteriorated last year and I had to get bifocals. I thought it was enough to have to deal with being shortsighted!

      Delete
  7. Lovely as usual. When you have time, this might make a nice video. Also, head to Chicago. In addition to lots of business, they have a fantastic art museum. Glad you're headed this way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your 'steampunk cat', beautiful artwork and it screams, Helen Williams....so beautiful, soft and flowing. As for businesses, sorry but I will say if you get to Chicago (been several times when I worked) the Museums are AWESOME and I could live at the Art Institute.Good Luck, can't imagine either place would be lucky have your talents added to their roster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patsy! It's fun doing a few different types of artwork for my assignments - I don't normally draw animals and was pretty happy with how this pic of Ollie turned out. h

      Delete
  9. Love your steampunk character, beautiful artwork as usual, talent in abundance. What a great opportunity, do hope you succeed in getting a place at Chicago. Really looking forward to your new Ebook and love the photo of the lambs. You are one amazing lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina! I think everyone else in the class did their steampunk character as a person but I couldn't resist giving it a go with Ollie. Now my oldest daughter wants me to steampunk her parrot! haha. h

      Delete
  10. Love your drawings. Ollie is adorable and who would have thought of making him steampunk! You are one of the most clever people I know. I hope you get to go to the US to study. I, unfortunately do not live near either of those cities (I'm in Florida) so I would not be much help with you there. Hope you get picked! Looking forward to your new e book! The little lamb is adorable!
    Barb B. CZT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Helen, your take on Ellish is exquisite and I think it deserves a video. I would, and I'm sure many of your readers would too, like to know how you plan when drawing such an intricate piece. Do you sketch it in pencil first or you just proceed in ink and tie up any loose end eventually? Anyway, I'm enjoying your drawing immensely. Thank you for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia. This one is a combination of both a bit of planning and freehand work :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you :)