Skip to main content

Trying something new

I've always used journals for my drawings - I love the way I can view my drawing progress and obsessions in chronological order. What I don't love is how difficult they are to scan - and since I scan a lot of my drawings this can be a real hassle - the lid normally has to come off the scanner and the journal weighted down and don't get me started about working around the spine! I also have issues with marker bleed through the paper and the general clunkiness of working in a book.

So, for me, negatives were beginning to outweigh the positives. The solution? I bought a packet of Quill Board (100 x A4) - it is a 200gsm paper, clean white with a very smooth surface.

I am loving it! As I finish my drawings I just date them and put them in a manilla folder. I figure that I'll just bind them when I've accumulated enough pages. Scanning is easy. So far it is looking like a great alternative.

Onto today's drawing: Wheat Ribbons - this is the piece I sketched out when working through my Surrealistic Sunflower drawing block piece (previous post).

I have a bit of a thing for drawing wheat, I love those spiky bits (awn?)

Wheat and Ribbon Drawing

hx

Comments

  1. I love this design, Helen. I've only been following your blog for a short time but I was lucky enough to have signed up early enough to get a copy of your Pattern Portfolio! It's a wonderful resource and for a beginner doodler like me it's great! I will eventually purchase your two other books. I love your style! Thank you for sharing your beautiful work with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to here you are enjoying it, Maryanne! Thank you :) h

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea! I always enjoy your gorgeous art and style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen
    I'm a big fan. Your work is clean, spontaneous, fluid.
    Separate pages probably have issues as well. Will you really bind them? (Projecting my own procrastinations here) but will certainly solve the scanning problem.

    BTW I'm in Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, I will most likely bind them when I have enough pages to make into a book. I used to do a lot of bound journals a few years back :) h

      Delete
  4. Hi Helen,
    I've followed your work for awhile and like Holly I too love your style. These wheat are very graceful. When I tangle or see work like yours, I'm thinking of how I can carve the pattern. I'm a professional chip carver so my mind goes in that direction. I could definitely carve your wheat drawing! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty,

      Thank you!

      I googled "chip carving" how fascinating - I would love to be able to do this but would not have the patience :) When I am working on stamp designs I have to approach them in a different way - heavier lines, etc, in order for them to be able to work with the cutting process which is done by machine, but some of the same rules probably apply - lines not too fine, etc. h

      Delete
  5. i understand about scanning - what a pain. i mostly go with loose sheets now, too. need to check out quill board - that's a new one for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,

      Thank you! Quill is an Australian brand, I think, so possibly not available elsewhere, but if you look out for a smooth 200gsm paper/card, it should be similar. h

      Delete
  6. Beautiful detail, so pleased that you have found a solution to the scanning dilemma. You could of course also display these works of art in a gallery instead of hiding them in a folder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wheat ribbons are very pretty. I love wheat as the basis for a pattern, too. I have many journal pages with wheat/grain experimentation on them, all of which I enjoy looking at. I think this is a pretty common thing among human beings, as there are many depictions of grain in artwork through the ages and over many cultures. We join a long history of artists who have found the appeal in grains.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)