Skip to main content

More Pattern Journal

Lately I've had a renewed interest in working in my Pattern Journal - this is a small book (A5) in which I play around with a single pattern, click here if you want to see previous Pattern Journal posts.

Breaking down patterns is something that I love to do. I am fascinated by their construction and love to see the steps that have been used to get the end result. I admit though (as our minds all work so differently and what seems logical and easy to you may not to me), that sometimes I can find that the steps seem a little complicated and I'll try and find a simplified way to recreate the pattern.

63Y is a good example of this. I loved the "floral" version of this pattern and set about replicating it. I soon found the process of putting little "Y" shapes in each of the triangles and hoping the pattern would line up doing my head in, so I found an alternative method to create the base structure.

Here's the finished page from my pattern journal:

Pattern Journal - 63Y

I really like the way the honeycomb angles of this pattern shape the petals and love how it appears to be bulging and contracting across the page.

hx

Comments

  1. Helen, this is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen
    It's amazing how such a simple pattern can look so stunning. I have just taken a look at the older posts too and saw the Tria and Promarker folders idea... Just what I need after receiving 5 more folders for Christmas.
    Thanks again for sharing your wonderful patterns

    Steve
    Lake District. U.K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, thanks :)

      I refer to my coloured tabs on the marker cases all the time - it's been very useful. Have fun organising your pens (my favourite part).

      Helen

      Delete
  3. Hi Helen,
    It really does jump out of the page at you. I also think it has the perfect amount of shading too! It's wonderful. Thank you for sharing. Julie from Adelaide South Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please don't tease me! :-) HOW did you make it simpler? I looked at that pattern and said "too complicated" and moved on. Haha. It looks a little like N'zepple. Is that how you simplified it? Do tell. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, I posted the steps I used in the next post: http://www.alittlelime.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/alternative-approach.html - hope that helps :) Helen

      Delete
  5. i swear your brain is amazing! mine is just so boring. can i come play in your studio and watch over your shoulder? hahaha! of course, i only live half way around the world from you, but that's just a little obstacle. hahaha! beautiful, helen, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can, Alice! Perfect time of year - we've got the Australian Open happening in Melbourne this week, too! Hope you weekend was wonderful, too :) h

      Delete
  6. This is very similar to 'Nzeppel. Could deconstruct in the same way. Not sure what steps you used to do this. I do like the shading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donald. I put the steps I used up in the next post as I had a few questions : http://www.alittlelime.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/alternative-approach.html

      And, yes, very similar pattern to Nzeppel but using a honeycomb shape to give the flattened ends which I liked.

      Delete
  7. Your sublte shading makes all the difference. Beautiful and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are your steps for doing this pattern? I see the link for the original but not the link for how you did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, you can find them in the next post: http://www.alittlelime.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/alternative-approach.html
      Thanks, Helen

      Delete
  9. Another stunner! You never cease to amaze, Helen. Thank you for sharing this with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perplexing tangelation. I cannot figure out how 63Y (a confusing tangle step-out for me) is transformed into your lovely design. Have you done a step-out of your design?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricia, You can find my alternative approach in the next post http://www.alittlelime.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/alternative-approach.html - I blocked in the centres and added a white dot :) Hope that helps. h

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)