Skip to main content

Just begin

Ever have those days where you want to draw, but you're not really feeling all that inspired? 

I either have a million and one ideas that are desperately trying to burst out of my head and I can't get them down on paper fast enough - or I have nothing.

Today was one of those days - the blank piece of paper was staring back at me mockingly (cheeky thing!) so I decided to just begin with a circle.......which evolved into a sunflower........which is now unrecognisable as I just kept adding detail and pattern. 

I'm happy enough with the result and the side benefit is that whilst drawing this my inspiration switch flicked to the "on" position and I sketched out my next project in between filling in the black areas on the sunflower design. It is surprising how often this will happen. I'm a big believer in the more creative you are, the more creative you become - sometimes you just need to give yourself a push to just begin. Draw something......anything......then the ideas will follow. 

Sunflower Zendala using tangle patterns

This year we have had a population explosion of kookaburras - they're always here, but we are noticing so many of late. Kookaburras have a very unique call  - you can hear it in this audio file - this is what I wake up to most mornings.

With quite a few visiting the garden, I've been able to get close enough to take photos.

Kookaburra in gum tree

Kookaburra trio
A trio of young ones.

Have a good one!
hx

Comments

  1. Love the sunflower and the bird pictures are really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sunflower!! Oh my, the kookabura's are a noisy bunch...thanks for the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece, wholeheartedly agree on the importance of creating to stir up the creative juices - not always easy to remember though during some of the down times - good reminder. LOL hard to not sing the camp song anytime someone mentions kookaburas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, I do so love your art! The graceful flow, your signature style I believe, always charms me and invites me to follow. I can't begin to guess how many times just gazing at your lovely offerings has sent me to my studio to explore the infinity of Zentangle! Thank you so much for your inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete





















  5. Wow Helen, this one is spectactular. I really love it......


    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I think your sunflower is absolut beautiful and very 3D like.
    The birds i your garden sounds like monkeys... ;o)))
    Here i Denmark it's winter, but I think some of the blackbirds have forgotten that these days, because they sing sooo beautiful
    http://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/British-wildlife-recordings/022M-W1CDR0001524-1900V0
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tine. Loved the black bird recording - I know we have these in Melbourne, but not sure if they are in our area, I'll have to ask my husband :). I'll to put up an audio of Magpies soon, they sound incredible - another very iconic Australian bird sound :)

      Have a great day! h

      Delete
  7. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful zendala! I also believe that more creative you are, the more creative you become. Sometimes it is just hard to get going on something but when you do the feeling is great. Love your pictures of the kookaburras. I'm reminded of the old song I learned as a child "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree".

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh! they sound like they are laughing! what a wonderful sound to wake up to :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helen, what a beautiful Zendala, your sunflower turned out to be. It is brilliant! I always love to see what you are doing. Your style is so unique. The birds are very strange indeed. Ahhh nature... ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. E meno male che non sapevi che cosa disegnare, è semplicemente fantastico! Ma una persona che si sveglia al mattino con quella musica non può fare altro che opera d'arte.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the good advice and the pictures of your beautiful art and your birds. The bird calls gave me a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure if I could stand the kookas. Love the baby trio.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found you and love your work. Even more so now that you have shared the songs of your garden. We have 3 feet of snow at the moment, expecting another 18" over the next few days so not many birds singing happily here. Thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a beginner. Do you give instructions for drawing this gorgeous flower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, unfortunately I don't have step out instructions for drawing this flower. You can find step-outs for my patterns (and a few other things) under the PATTERNS tab at the top of the page which will hopefully help you out :) Thanks, Helen

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)