Skip to main content

a miracle!

Firstly - thank you all so much for the fabulous response to my new e-book Light and Shadow - I have been thrilled and hope that, if you've purchased, you are enjoying it and that it is helping with your shading - if you haven't I hope you'll check it out. I'm really proud of how this new book turned out :)

Now, onto the miracle: today I drew something! Not a big deal, right? Well, let me tell you about my last 4 weeks.

Firstly, the day I completed Light and Shadow and posted it on the blog, one of our sheep had triplets, which, of course, was wonderful, but one of the new lambs just couldn't keep up and, by Saturday, ended up at our place in front of the fire being bottle fed. This is our first year having lambs, and, as this one now considered me it's mum and wanted me in sight all the time I had a crash course in how much work is involved in being a lamb foster-mum.

The lamb is now back in the paddock with the herd, though he still has his three feeds a day......I am very much looking forward to starting the weaning process next week.

My husband, John, calls him Lieutenant Lamb.



O.k., so once I got the bottle feeding under control - took about a week - I thought I'd finally be able to get onto other things I had planned, but, nope...........instead I got sick with the flu. Really sick. This was a big shock to me as I just don't get sick. Everyone around me will have colds and the flu and I.....just.........don't. I laugh in the face of the flu! Well, o.k., not anymore, now I cower in terror.

Whatever I had sent me to bed for 3 days, then, when I was finally starting to feel normal after a week, I got a second dose and was barely able to stay awake through the day, I needed naps and was in bed by 6.30 at night. Just so exhausted, coughing all the time, etc, etc. Finally, finally over the last couple of days I have began to feel quasi normal. It's true that I still cannot say a sentence without coughing - John asked me yesterday if I was sick of coughing because he was sick of hearing it........cheeky, cheeky boy.........I think I'm going to record myself coughing and make it his ringtone - technology baffles him a bit and he'll never figure out how to get rid of it. LOL.

So, anyway, today, I drew something.

It's not something great........there's some pretty wonky lines in there, but after how I've been feeling for the past 3 weeks, I'm pretty happy to get ANYTHING done that doesn't involve being prone.


Here's one that was sitting on my desk from the days before the great flu of 2014 and Lieutenant Lamb. The outline is one that I did much earlier in the year for another project - I wanted to play with just shading the central area of the design.


I hope the last month has been considerably better for you guys!

hx

Comments

  1. Glad you are back on deck Helen. I have just come out the other side of something very similar. I had a couple of weeks on the couch - coughing, coughing, coughing and not sleeping. Back in the marital bed now and feeling a whole lot better, but it took almost a month.
    Now I just need to get some light and shadow happening. Congratulations on your latest publication, I'm sure it will be every bit as awesome as the previous ones.
    Regards, Lyndel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you feel better! Hopefully you will have a full turn around and be over the whole flu very soon. Lt. Lamb is very cute! And I am loving playing with the new book, learning lots! Thanks for being an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Helen. Even when you are sick, you are awesome! Love the book (printed and bound as soon as i got the link) but not had any time to sit and practice with it yet.....it has just been some lovely eye candy :)) love Sergent Lamb....he has such big ears lol. Reminds me of the days when i lived on a farm as a child and looking after all the orphan lambs (sleepless nights...scouring.....) ahhhh those were the days *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Helen you have been busy (and not so good, poorly as well). Congratulations on the lambs though, glad to see you back again. I love the shading and the white seems to make the flowers pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to the land of the living! It is wonderful to see your beautiful, happy work again...you were missed! Now just stay healthy, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, to be the one that never gets sick but when you do... those pesky virus makes it a good one, huh? So glad you are feeling better and up and about again. That wee lamb is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are feeling better! Just make sure you don't overdo things and have a relapse. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you may have ended up with some bronchitis...classic symptoms my husband gets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the lamb, don' know that I would like the bottle feeding. Even under the weather your work is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I'm so glad you are better. What a sweet little lamb, lucky you, looking for another baby to care for...I love your humor and it would be fun if you give John a new ringtone - just be sure to share it with us....Have a wonderful day!


    ReplyDelete
  11. Having bottle fed many "bummer" lambs myself, I know it's a lot of work but so rewarding. There were always several around the wood stove during lambing season on the ranch. Thanks for being one who can combine raising lambs with your spectacular art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are better now, and back! I really missed you! I'm sure you'll enjoy the coming spring all the more now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear how sick you've been. I loved the Lamb story and photos. ..so cute.
    Thank you for the beautiful drawings. So refreshing to see Australian native plants featured again. Absolutely awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for the pictures of the lamb, it is sooooo cute !
    hope you will be better very soon, I know about coughing myself, struggling with a persistent tracheitis since more than 2 weeks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry you were so sick and glad to see you are on the mend. That flu thing is a miserable experience. We are just entering the flu season here and all the local pharmacies are posting the availability of flue shots. Not sure how much they help, having suffered several weeks of the flu a couple of years ago despite having had the shot. The lamb is adorable and loved the story. I've missed you and was happy to see your update. Welcome back and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lieutenant Lamb is Adorable!!! I'm so happy he is doing so well, thanks to you! Also, glad you are semi-back and feeling better, bit by bit. The flu is scary stuff! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Helen, So sorry you have been under the weather lately. Life is certainly funny when you are so miserable it will throw you a spanner! Your beautiful lieutenant lamb. Just amagine how worse you would have been if you hadn't been as active as you were with the nature versus nuture part of it all. But I am so glad that you did those two outstanding drawings also. I personally think the second is your best native drawing to date and truly love it. It has totally inspired me now to make an applique block based on your design if I have your permission. I would like to go shopping to look for some fabrics tomorrow or the next if that is okay. I will of course show you first what I come up with before doing anything and of course give you full credit for the design. If that is okay I think it would make a stunning cushion or even a centre of a block for a big quilt. julie714@adam.com.au

    Ps.I haven't purchased your 2nd ebook yet but intend too as soon as I can and I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)