Skip to main content

Journal wrap up

If you've been visiting for a while you'll know that I generally like to take a bit of a tour through my journals when I finish them and see if I've got any interesting bits and pieces to share.

I wrapped up my latest journal a few weeks ago, and as I was cleaning up my room today (because I had to make space for the ridiculously huge drafting table that I bought off ebay this weekend!!!), I had a quick flick through the journal and there wasn't really all that much there - I've had a dismal drawing period over the past couple of months where I was so busy, feeling flat and really not all that inspired. When I could be bothered drawing at all, I tended to start things and not be interested in following through, hence there were a number of half-baked pieces that, honestly, aren't worth completing.

Here's what I salvaged from the debris. LOL.

A bit of Rixty play - I should go and have a look at the challenge pieces for this one as I bet others have done some amazing stuff with the pattern, but thus far, it's not one that has really grabbed me.


There was a Quandary challenge a while back - pretty sure I would've drawn this at the time.


Now, for some fun news. Back when I worked in the scrapbooking industry (quite a few years ago, practically the dark ages), I did a lot of work for a stamp company here in Australia, Stamp It - I would do convention workshops for them and the occasional bit of stamp designing. I hadn't submitted anything for years, but sent along a few of my drawings last year - here are the ones that are part of their new catalogue.


I'm not a stamper so the stamped impressions are not all that great - I've probably used the wrong ink, wrong technique, etc, etc.

There's something about seeing my designs turn into a 3-d item that I find so thrilling!

Hope your weekend has been fabulous. We've been spending most of our time inside as the weather has been dismal, though I have been closely monitoring the temperatures of my compost heap and researching ideas for my potager garden - it's starting to shape up in my head and I'm getting very excited. Hopefully we'll get some better weather later in the weekend so I can get outside and DO STUFF!

hx

Comments

  1. Very cool about the stamps. For some reason though, putting your name in the search bar on their website does not bring these up. So if anyone is looking for those specifically they will find them under:
    Butterfly Curl - Code: si4852e
    Cone Flower - Code: si4850e
    Gumnut Flower - Code: si4851e
    and Poppy Anemones - Code: si4849e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krys, thank you! I didn't even think to put the codes on :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Helen,

      I wonderful drawings and now stamps. What else! Anyway I'm on the hunt for them helen. Would be grateful for any additional information. julie714@adam.com.au

      Delete
    3. Hi Julie, Sorry for the slow reply. You can contact Stamp It for a list of stockists (or they may have one on their website). www.stampit.com.au - hope this helps :) Helen

      Delete
  2. Hi Hellen, which are again beautiful drawings!
    I have held ever tried to tanglen a pattern from you.
    I still have much to learn!
    But there was a lot of fun.
    Thank you!
    Happy Sunday, * Manja *
    => http://tangle-manja.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  3. All are beautiful - as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Rixty on the far right - where they are getting sucked into each other. I'm finding I like drawing more rounded Rixty - I did a nice piece to demonstrate but used the wrong paper/pen combo and smudged the lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Helen! And I agree -- how cool to see your drawings turned into a 3-dimensional, tangible item. Congrats! And enjoy your new drafting table. :) I always loving looking at your creations. Always so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your honesty Helen. To try and force something creative just doesn't work. To have someone as talented as you admit a "drawing slump" encourages the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your butterfly on the left inspired me a week or two ago... let me see if I can find the post here...yep, here it is, at the bottom of this post... http://www.amimental.blogspot.com/2014/04/trained.html

    Love all the stuff you posted here, and as always, you inspire me to at least try new things.
    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy - your drawing looks great! Lucky delivery person :) You can see the original drawing that this one came from here: http://alittlelime.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/challenge-136-colour.html - h.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)

Popular posts from this blog

PATTERN - Faux Weave

I am getting ever closer to the finish line of my course. I have one more round of assessments to go and should be done in around 6 weeks - I cannot wait! I have enjoyed it, but am more than ready for it to be over. Thanks for hanging in there with my erratic posting over the past year or so :)

My desk, which has a myriad of buried treasure amongst the clutter  (my organisation "system" tends towards scribbling things down on scraps of paper when I get an idea then throwing them on my desk). Anyway, I had a bit of a clean up last night and it offered up this pattern ready to scan and share.

I love, love, LOVE easy patterns and how, often, from a simple construct the illusion of a more complex design can be created.

I think that "faux weave" is one such example. What could be easier than spiralling around a single line? Stack these spirals together using a square grid, alternate the direction, add some basic fill and shading and all of a sudden you have a woven effe…

String Rose PATTERN

Well, d-day has almost arrived. Tomorrow I head back to school. Where did the summer go? At least the class schedule is looking pretty light and I'll only be at school for 2- 2 1/2 days a week.

Today I want to share a really simple technique/pattern I've called "String Rose". This idea first made an appearance on the blog during the old into new challenge back in 2014. I named one of the experimentation tiles as Trentwith and though this pattern was the initial source of inspiration, my version takes a different approach. I had always meant to share the technique as it's so simple, and fun, but I just didn't get around to it. Until now! 2 1/2 years later.....haha.

O.k., here goes........

The String Rose Pattern - this shows the base technique.


As it's all done in one continuous line, I thought a little insta-video might help out:

Puffy 8's PATTERN

O.k., wow. Another year done and dusted! Can you believe it's 2017? Me? I'm still reeling.

So, where did 2016 go? I had so much that I wanted to get done here on the website, but, life takes some interesting turns and my return to full-time study in 2016 though not planned, was so interesting - I loved it!

Since term ended for our long summer break, I've been periodically working on tidying up my files and found some unpublished patterns that I hadn't got around to posting. I'll put them up over the next few weeks.

Today I'm sharing a pattern called Puffy 8's - it's another spin off of 2/8's (love that base pattern!)

You could stop at step 5 above, or keep going to fill all the spaces.
And, what's life without a bit of freeforming?
Wishing everyone a happy, productive 2017!
hx