5.02.2014

Challenge #165 - Camelia

I love the Diva UMT Challenges - so much fun to play around with a pattern that I've not experimented with before.

This week it was Camelia by one of my fellow Aussies, Anne Marks. I had a lot of fun with it :)

First of all I went off grid and created intersecting shapes.


Then (kind of) on grid (I haven't cut off the scan, I ran out of page so just drew it like this :) LOL.


What I really love about pattern experimentation is the "what if" factor - my brain often goes off on a tangent (and not just when I'm drawing......lol.......I am positive my brain works on a different wave length than everyone else's - precariously balanced between creative and completely crazy......hopefully falling more on the creative side, but, you know, my husband would probably put up a good argument for the "crazy"). Hahaha. Anyway, when I'm drawing a pattern, I often start to think about what would happen if I did ..............??????? The results are often pretty strange and not fit for public consumption, but, sometimes I end up with something that I love.

This time I became fascinated by the idea of intersecting waving lines (it doesn't take much for me to be enthralled with wavy line patterns - love, love them and could draw them ALL day). Anyway, the idea spun off from my first drawing (above), I decided to create a grid with the wavy lines, fill them out with the trio of haloed lines as in Camelia, then build a secondary grid behind the first to create the appearance of depth. The straight lines were drawn in last as detail.


I loved how it turned out and have put together a step out so that you can recreate it if you want. I've called it Whirl as it's built very similarly to double twirl (this one is only on video) - though D/Twirl uses a dot grid to control the size and shape to keep it more uniform whereas Whirl is much more freeform. 

I think the best effect is achieved by creating big loopy lines in the top grid (first 2 steps), so that the lines in the secondary grid are interrupted and reinforce the appearance that they're behind the first (probably illustrated most clearly in step 3), and the image below.


A bit of colour for a change - I got distracted half way through colouring this one and had meant to do  the bottom horizontal(ish) line also in red - ah well. Let's just call it quixotic, shall we?


Hope your weekend is wonderful - it is going to be wet and miserable here so I'm hoping to catch up reading some garden books that I bought this week to get myself ready for the great potager-ism-ing of my yard :) Fun!

hex

24 comments:

  1. You always have the most fascinating and elegant designs. :) These are lovely! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all beautiful, but I really , really love the third one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleasantly surprised by what you came up with. Was wondering what it would look like after you stated that you were experimenting. I like all of them, but the second fascinates me as I follow the swirls around the page. Glad you liked the variation of Scrolled feather I used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your beautiful experimentation! And the way your mind works:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very nice, as always! ;o)
    Thanks for the great pattern!
    Have a nice weekend, * Manja *

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing interpretation of the "Camelia"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never cease to amaze me, Helen. These are so creative and beautifully done. Three cheers for "crazy!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it all. And especially the way you talk us through the process. It helps to understand how someone thinks as well as seeing what they come out with. Sometimes I find grids restrictive - but yours is very liberating. And I'm definitely going to give your variation tangle a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous and very creative! Wonderful variations of Camelia and thank you for "Whirl"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, you really DID enjoy this one, didn't you? It's wonderful to see how you developed the pattern and took it right on to a new tangle.
    Your work is inimitably yours, Helen, and if it weren't so inspiring and uplifting, it would be downright depressing to a wannabe Zentangler!!! Absolutely wonderful - definitely the creative side of crazy.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. And you did it again, never stop finding great variations. Stunning Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are just wonderfully and beautifully quirky - love how your brain works!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how your challenge tile looks so wispy and floaty. And the new pattern is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love to see how you morph your tangles. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your different brain wave length produces some of my favorite pieces. Don't tune out that wave!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always I'm totally blown away by your work. I immediately had to play around and see if I could replicate what you'd done. And happily, I could. Except that it looks too much like yours and therefore not like something of mine. Annie is right; it can be depressing to those of us not as talented as you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, no, Audrie! Thank you, but, I don't want you to feel depressed.......... I think that replicating someone else's technique/drawing can be the best way to learn. You get a strong grasp of the technique and then can use it as a launchpad to incorporate into your own style.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your work is breathtaking! I especially like your very first one. By the way, I am loving your e-book and am getting more comfortable with "flipping and folding" Can't wait to get your next e-book. Have plans on doing another? :)

    Happy tangling,

    Jacque
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacque - Thanks so much :) I am glad to hear that you are enjoying my e-book - it sounds like you are getting good use out of it. Yes, I do have plans for another book - I'm at the stage of planning it in my head and getting myself geared up to start working on it. Right now I've got so much gardening to get done before Winter sets in, then I'll be diving in! Have a great weekend. h

      Delete
  19. Stunning stuff as per usual. I always come and check out your site to trigger off my own inspiration. Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a joy to see your work Helen! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Helen these are fabulous. Love how you developed Camelia so that it has morphed into the Whirl tangle (which I must try). Great inspiration for how to take a grid based tangle out of the grid! Linda x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you :)