Skip to main content

Lola butterfly

So all good intentions to draw over the holidays went out the window. Things have been happening, primarily life and just getting stuff done before Winter kicks in. (If farm life bores you just scroll, scroll, scroll down to the end of the post to see the drawing :)

So, what's been on?

Permaculture classes & open days and the biggest compost heap known to man. Okay, maybe not to man, but surely Hoddles Creek. LOL. Erin and I built a massive 10 metre long  x 1.5 metre wide heap almost as tall as we are which is happily composting away getting ready for the Spring plant-a-palooza.


Weaning and halter training this girl so that she can follow in her mum's footsteps and become a house cow. This way we can sell on to a loving home rather than heading to the freezer (it's hard not to get more attached to the Jersey's calves - we handle them so much more, it's nice to have a better option available for the girls). I'm calling her "Honey".


What's the name of the shampoo you're using? Smells good, but makes you look seriously old. Let's just call it bad lighting.


Dropping the Jersey down to once a day milking - it's the first time we've tried this when we haven't been drying her up, and, I have to say, so far, we're loving it. Less work/more milk. She is not a good calf/milk sharer.

Bottling (over and over and over again) these - I had 26 tomatoes plants this year - that's a whole lotta salsa, pasta sauce, tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes. My aim is to have a years worth stocked up - I've still got a few more batches to go, so it'll be interesting to see how we went by this time next year.





Restructuring the flower garden - the last few summers have been so hot that quite a bit of my front feature garden just can't cope - I've also been far more focussed on the veggie garden, so there is an element of neglect, too. The hydrangeas have to be moved as they're just getting fried, so I am turning the whole thing into a perennial border over the next week or so.


 This tree is in the process of being cut down to make way for my new potager/kitchen garden - I have some exciting plans for it and can't wait to get the rest of the tree out the way and the cardboard down for the no-dig beds.



This new garden will just evolve out from the area at the side of the shed where the tree is, starting with some espalier oranges and moving out as I fill it. The entire area runs from this shed down to behind the cubby house in the pic above, maybe half the size of a small house block, so it's kind of massive and daunting.

Now, to the drawing................

In my last post (back in the dark ages), I played with Sandy Hunter's lovely new pattern Lola. I had a lot of butterfly envy going on after seeing Sandy's samples and drew this one the very next day, but, as you can see, life got in the way of me posting it right away. Here it is:


In a bit of other news, my e-book, Flips Folds Ribbon and String was featured in the review section of Paper Creations Summer 2014 issue - my book is their first ever e-book review - very exciting!

Hope your week(s) have been wonderful and productive, too.

hx

Comments

  1. Great post Helen, I love to read about your farm. Your lolaBfly is great, I admire the way you can play with tangles that when I see your drawing I just see a Butterfly and only afterwards I think oh yeah its done with Lola. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how exciting to have your e-book reviewed! Love your tangles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigosh--Honey is SO CUTE!! I want a house cow!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn :) I love her, but they generate a lot of work. At the moment we're getting around 13 litres a day of milk to process - at least my pigs are getting fat! h

      Delete
  4. Although I do not have house-cow envy, i do love Honey and would like permission to use that photo as an inspiration for a drawing or painting. Our art league this summer in WI up near Lake Superior is having a "cow theme" show to raise money for the club. Hoping you will say yes, as it's more fun to use photos of cows that have history and meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures and beautiful ZIA :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving all the news from the farm. Can I come live with you? lol Absolutely love your Lola Butterfly. As for 'Honey', she is gorgeous. Sounds like you are super busy out there and we appreciate all the time you give to create new tangles. Have a wonderful day Helen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, Yvonne. Of course. You have to be prepared to get your hands dirty though - and after all the rain we've been getting, no so much fun as it could be :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the book review! I love your book! This butterfly of Lola is beautiful - Helen Williams' style - pretty spectacular! I'm going to try this out,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice :) It was very exciting when I found out it would be happening! Have fun playing with the butterfly - love to see what you come up with :)

      Delete
  8. I love all your posts Helen - you are hilarious!! Honey is so sweet!!! Your work as always - AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always enjoy your posts. I do not live on a farm, and never have, but does bring back some memories of growing up and going to my grandparent's farm. Sounds like you have some really big plans. Hope they come to fruition. Love the Lola butterfly. If you have time in all your endeavors, check out my tile for this week's Diva Challenge. I used Scroll feather. Really like this tangle and tried a little something different with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately for my husband, I always have big plans that involve him digging. hahaha!

      Your challenge tile is beautiful, Donald :) I have been experimenting with grid-less camellia, too, in the hope that I'll have something to post this week :) h

      Delete
  10. Your Lola drawing is gorgeous, but this time the favorite on this blog is your calf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are ambitious, but a lot of work to do on a farm before winter. Here in the midwest, USA, it's supposed to be spring - warmer days, sunshine. Well, mother nature is having trouble shaking the hard winter we had. Spring is slow coming.
    Honey is such a cutie! And I love the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're just heading into the cooler weather - it's been a lovely Autumn.Probably a straight slide into winter for us now, though.

      Delete
  12. Love seeing your farm pics! Sensational butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting to see what you're doing on your farm. We also farm and it's spring here so we're busy planting and getting ready for summer and selling at Farmers Market. We have a high tunnel - 20' x 96' full of strawberries that will be ready to start picking next week - yikes!! And a new tunnel - 20' x 48' that will be all tomatoes. It's a learning experience for sure and hard to do any drawing when we're so busy!! I always love to see your work - it is soooo inspiring!! I have your e-book and I love it. I'm taking it to my annual cousin reunion as one of my cousin's is starting to do a lot of tangling too. Enjoy your fall days!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your your e-book review. I am enjoying your e-book a lot. I have an android tablet which allows me to access the book through its external drive. Love your farm update. Kitchen gardens are wonderful. As a renter in a small community with limited gardening space, I've managed to carve out a nice patch outside my front door where I can grow herbs in ground as well as in pots. It is such a joy to be able to step out my front door and harvest fresh rosemary, basil, chives, oregano, thyme, lovage, and fennel all summer long. This year Spring is taking its sweet time arriving, but the chives are up and for the last couple of nights that have been frost free, we have carried our rosemary bush outside to enjoy the warmer temperatures. We also brought our oregano plant in for the winter, but it's looking a little lean, as one of our kitties feels it's necessary to clear her palette with its leaves every time she has a bite to eat. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you :)