2.14.2014

This affair is like.....so.....over!

February 14th! Happy Valentine's Day!! Love, love, love........love, love!

Before we bring the Valentine's/Heart theme to an end, I've got some last minute love to spread around. Here goes........ grab a notepad and pen (you may find yourself spontaneously doodling). And, maybe, a coffee.....this is going to be a long one.

So, you know, I've been kind of immersing myself in hearts. I think I've hit that alternate reality where the heart and I have become one. I AM the heart. LOL.

Finding more ways to work with them was a real challenge - and, I loved it - there's nothing more interesting to me than trying to break down a pattern and working out its secrets.

I like to create patterns that are continuous: they are more versatile, can flow on in any direction infinitely and fit into any space - otherwise, for me, they're too limiting. To that end, hearts are a difficult shape to work with - one end geometric, the other curvy and not many ways they'll fit together - meaning a lot of pattern attempts end up with a similar look.

Over the past few days I decided to experiment with some different approaches such as grids, zigzags, etc......the end results have some variations, but are essentially still "nested" hearts. I think that you could pretty much choose your favourite starting approach to achieve something very similar - the real difference is made by fill/shading choices.

Heart Box:
Let's start off with a super-easy one first - I almost didn't bother including it because it is so very basic with a simple fill in grid approach, but I kind of love the way it looks when it's blocked in and shaded. So, in it goes:



Heart Divided:
Starts with a zigzag. This pattern gives surprisingly different results depending on how you fill it from organic to almost to an almost mechanical look where it is hard to distinguish the heart shape.



My favourite fill approach for Heart Divided, is to fill the hearts with, yes, more hearts. Love the finished result with a bit of shading along the "columns".


Heart "S"
I scribbled this pattern along the edge of a piece of paper, not even consciously thinking where I was headed with it - I think it must have been percolating away in the back of my mind and didn't reveal itself until it was finally "cooked".



What's Valentine's day without a few flowers? The little kick on Heart S makes it easy to extend this pattern, too.


A little bit of randomising:


As I was playing around with the Heart "S" pattern I experienced a paradigm shift - I realised that basically I was stacking s's - this seriously hadn't occurred to me and I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who hadn't realised that a whole heap of alternating stacked s's make hearts? I love, love when a pattern breaks down into this type of simplified format that is so easy for our brain to understand - making it so simple to draw, not to mention randomising all over the place!

Heart "S"  - no kick



Randomised with some little scroll dotty things added onto the end of each s:


I can't wait to make some pattern videos with these!

So, that's it. We're done. Hearts - you and I........sooooooo over! Well, till next year...........or until I feel like drawing them again.

hx