6.20.2013

ball & rope

What a difference a week or so makes. A couple of weeks ago I was telling my husband that I wasn't inspired to do any drawing and was going to give it a rest for a while - I'm not a believer in trying to force it - if it's not happening, it's not happening. Sure, I can always draw something that looks o.k., maybe do some flower studies or whatever, but I really have no interest unless I'm feeling excited and inspired by a drawing. I've got to "want" it, ya know?

Well, I don't know what set me off, but the ideas are flowing again and I have been madly sketching away. The theme for the next few days is going to be circles as that's what's inspiring me right this minute (that could change within the hour, though!)

Here's today's offering:


Loved doing the weave on the circle and was going to leave the string as simple lines with shading, but I decided to play around with a rope effect and had a lot of fun with it, kept the shading and detail on it very loose. Not 100% happy with the rope ends, but whatever.

hx

10 comments:

  1. You inspire us Helen with such splendid designs. Don't get into to much of a knot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spectacular. If there's any truth in "practice makes perfect", it clearly shows in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Helen! The detail is awesome ~ I just LOVE your work! Glad your inspiration is back for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shading on the rope really makes it pop. I just showed the rope tangle to my students this week and I'm sure seeing your example will encourage them to give it a go! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! I love ropes!

    By the way, I had fun playing with your tangles recently. The result is on my blog today. www.suejacobs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. Loved what you did with the tangles, too :)

      Delete
  6. So glad your inspiration is back, this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful work, love visiting your blog. One question, do you shade with Copic markers in greys? Thought I saw you mention this before but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trisha, I use Letraset tria markers (mostly) & also their promarkers. Trias have 4 greyscale ranges (cool, warm, neutral, ice), with 10 in each group. I love, love the neutral greys but also use the warm and cool greys (mostly to stop my neutral greys from running out too fast!). I think copics have a similar sets, though a bit more expensive.

      Delete

I love hearing from you :)