4.05.2013

Challenge #112 - Tuxedo

All this extra time on the holidays hasn't been spent doing as much drawing as I hoped......oh, no, instead I've been spending a lot of time cooking. Our goal with our veggie garden over the last few years has been for us to be self-sufficient, eat seasonally, and, therefore not have to buy any vegetables in - we managed this pretty well last year, though there were a few lean weeks end of winter/beginning of spring - suffice to say I could definitely live without seeing any more turnips of swedes for the rest of my life! This year we think we have planned a bit better and are gearing up for the last big sowing before winter which will include plenty of beetroot and silverbeet - because that's what my jersey girl loves - she always gets a little bit of produce from the garden to snack on during milking time.

So, in order to expand on the variety of food we have available, the last couple of weeks have been filled with making passata, salsa, apple pie filling, preserving pears, drying chillies - a big job in order to put away as much as I can whilst the summer crops are still producing. Then, when that winds down, lemon season will be in full swing! I LOVE lemon season. I've already made my first batch of lemon cordial and lemon curd. yum.

The challenge! This month's UMT Diva Challenge is a pattern designed by one of my most favourite tanglers, LeeAnn I love, love her gorgeous organic tangles so it was a thrill to work with one of her patterns.

Since I haven't done a geometric/fantasy/trumpet style drawing for a while, I decided to play with tuxedo on a ball shape and went from there. I've taken a picture prior to shading so that you can see the contrast with the final result. It could probably do with a bit more depth in the shading but I got a bit bored with it so declared it officially done! lol.

Before Shading:


After Shading - I decided to extend the pattern from the top right trumpet further along the stem as it looked a bit unfinished where I previously ended it.


Back out to the garden to do a bit of tomato pruning......

Have a great weekend!

hx



14 comments:

  1. I so love the trumpets and your shading is out of this world gorgeous! Just wow oh wow! About your gardening, I must say that I am so excited to read about how you are so self sufficent! We are so excited about getting out in the garden again.... The deer are awfully bold thus year. A friend offered us ove r a hundred strawberry plants. I am so looking forward to those sweet berries. Lettuce, tomatoe, peppers, summer here we come. Too bad lemons do not grow in my part of the woods.....oh, we don't have woods either.......I am rambling.... Happy harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeeAnn. Fortunately we don't have to deal with deer - they're out there in the forest, but I've never seen one on our paddocks. Kangaroos and rabbits.....yes.....but they don't get into the garden - the cats/dog must deter them from coming too close. I'm so jealous that you are heading into all that great gardening weather!

      Delete
  2. As always, it's a pleasure to be at your blog. And no disappointment, your Tuxedo and the trumpets are gorgeous.
    Also great to see the tile before and after shading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tile is beautiful with or without shading! And your trumpets...wow what a great idea! Your gardening brings back many happy memories. Of my three children, only one shares my love of the garden and the idea of being self sufficient. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous, love your shading forms and, of course, les trompettes! So fun to see the before (beautiful) and the after (even better).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, I am always intrigued with your designs. They are contemporaty looking and have a great flow. Your choice of putting Tuxedo on a sphere looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just perfect! It makes me feel cheerful, I can hear the music!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like the sphere. Your shading adds so much dimension to this as well as the rest of the drawing. Being a former trumpet player, love the use of this shape in your drawings. Interestingly enough, I do not use them much. Hmmm. May have to rethink that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life sounds busy and rewarding for you Helen. It is fun following all your lovely lines over and around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can you manage time to draw with being selfsufficent? I loved reading this post, and your drawing with or without shading is gorgeous, and I agree about extending the patern in the stem of the trumpet, looks more finished then in the unshaded one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) As for finding time......well, I don't really do a lot of housework. LOL. Fortunately there's only 3 of us, so we manage to keep the mess (somewhat) under control :)

      Delete
  10. Your trumpets are great. The whole thing comes together beautifully with the shading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this is soo very beautyfull!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you :)